How to occupy a toddler on a plane
website URL: Read More
We all look forward to our holidays with great joy. However the same can’t be said about taking children, especially toddlers, on a plane...
For many of us the thought could be enough to simply stop us from booking in the first place, or at the very least leaves us with so many questions flying around our minds:
How will I keep them entertained?
What about the other passengers?
What about their sleep routine?
Will it ruin the holiday?
However, the good news is that it is possible to make the task easier for all concerned; just follow our easy plan:
- If flying long-haul a night-time flight will help you keep to your sleep routine.
- Did you know that some airlines allow early family boarding? It allows you to get settled before the other passengers board, so contact your airline and request this option.
- If traveling with a baby that will be sat on your lap, check that the airline has made provision for this. Plus, some airlines offer a bassinet option, so remember to pre- book and check arrangements when you arrive on board.
- Make sure all devices are charged and accessible and you packed all the necessary chargers or batteries. It is a good idea to download several of your child’s favourite shows and you can also have your phone on airplane settings and your toddler still use the apps.
- Ensure that you have all the nappy bag items prepared and keep spares in case of delays. It is also a good idea to dress the baby ready for quick and easy changes and change them just before boarding. Plus, check with the airline that they have a changing table available.
- During take-off and landing give the toddlers sweets and feed the babies a bottle to counteract the change in air pressure which can cause ear pain.
- Don’t offer all the toys you bring at once, bring them out at different intervals.
- Don’t forget to consider the extras you might need such as bibs, wipes, spare clothing for you and the baby, baby painkillers, spare dummies, snacks and a blanket that they love.
- Don’t forget to be prepared for the return flight as well.
Hopefully, by planning ahead you will arrive fresh and ready to enjoy a relaxing holiday.
If you find yourself needing an extra pair of hands, Greycoat Lumleys can provide emergency childcare or travel Nannies at short notice. Whatever your requirment - just ask!